Monday, December 21, 2009

Labor Story!

Well, I am sure that some of you are wanting to know the details of how we came to get our little Patrick almost 2 weeks early! Even if no one is interested, I am still gonna post it so that I can remember it and have it recorded somewhere. Well, Friday morning I lost my plug! I spotted all day and had speratic contractions throughout the day. I was also feeling really weird. I would eat and then I would feel like I was hungry and at the same time I felt like I was gonna puke, it was super weird. I spent Friday just really paying attention to my body and the baby and doing pretty much nothing. That night we went to the Treehouse Museum and to get a Christmas Tree as a family, both things that I had promised Josh we would do before the baby came.

On Saturday I went to scouts and felt a couple of contractions and spotted a little bit, but that was it. Josh had a cousin Christmas party that he went to and Peter and Ben and I went to buy stocking stuffers. We spent like 2 hours at Target and then went to get Josh. When we got home we decorated the Christmas Tree and put up our other Christmas decorations. That night we went to our ward Christmas party. All day I still had that weird feeling and Patrick wasn't moving like he normally did, so I was paying extra careful attention to him, but didn't think it was bad enough to call, but I did pay attention.

On Sunday we all woke up feeling kind of crappy, so we decided to stay home from church. I did a lot of sleeping. I still had that funky feeling and started to really worry about Patrick's movements. I was also still spotting. Around 1 I decided to call the doctor, cause I figured 3 days of this stuff was a little bit strange. I left her a message and she called me about an hour later, she was in a delivery, and told me to come in and get checked out and we would watch the baby. So we got the kids all put together and grabbed my bag and stuff just in case and headed out in a snow storm to the hospital. We dropped the kids at Gramma's house and went to the hospital. I was getting checked in and it was 3 pm. At 3:30 I was in the bed and hooked up and the nurse checked me, I was a 5!!! Keep in mind on Thursday at my appt I was a 2. They decided to keep me so they moved me to a labor and delivery room and got me all hooked up again and attached to an IV. At 5 the doctor came in to break my water. She checked me again and I was almost a 7! I couldn't believe it, I was feeling NOTHING!!!!! How could my body be doing things so quickly without my feeling it??? So she broke my water and that's when I started to feel things. I was feeling more pressure than pain, so that was weird. I would breathe through my contractions but I could still answer questions and such when needed, which for those who have experienced labor you know that really bad contractions don't allow you to talk at all really. I got my epidural about 6:30 pm, why you ask, cause I am a chicken!! My left leg went numb first and I had to lay on my right side for my right leg to go too. I was still feeling things but I could tell they were getting less intense for me so I knew the epidural was kicking in. I looked at my nurse about 7:10 and said "oh that one felt weird!" She asked what I meant and I told her it was all pressure, no pain! She checked me and I was a 10!!! She went and called the doctor and when she showed up 15-20 minutes later, bad roads remember, that and she was about to inhale dinner when we called. She got all suited up and looked at me and laughed..."your done!" She told me to push on the next contraction and it was the one I didn't feel, go figure right?! I pushed and if I had felt the contraction I could have gotten a better push and gotten Patrick out in 1 push but I didn't so it was like a push and a quarter of a push!! It was crazy how fast this labor and delivery was!!! I only needed one stitch and when he was born at 7:40 pm we hadn't even been at the hospital for 5 hours!!!! I haven't really been sore or much of anything that is normal for after labor! It has been an interesting experience!

I am so greatful for my little boy! He is so sweet and precious! He is truely a little piece of heaven in our home! The older 2 boys love him, it is so sweet to watch them love him! I could just hold him and cuddle him and kiss on him all day if my maternal duties didn't prevent me from doing just that!! We all thank our Father in Heaven for little Patrick and his safe arrival!

No comments: