Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Story

OK, so I know that I have been REALLY bad at the blogging thing lately. I just haven't been feeling it, so shoot me! :) I have been feeling the need to post about Emmalyn's debut for a while before I forget the details, so here goes!

I had been to the hospital 4 times with false alarms before going for the actual party! I would be having contractions but they weren't doing anything and they weren't registering on the monitor! This frustrated me until they wouldn't register when I and the nurses knew I was in full blown labor. Even the big ones only registered at tiny blips on the paper...it was weird! I sat at 5 centimeters dilated for like a week and a half! Talk about frustrating! Well, I went in for my last Dr appt on May 9th and my doctor tells me "I'm gonna say your a six and send you in. Let's have a baby!" Her concern was that I was dilated so much and my previous labor was only 3.5 hours and this time I was Group B Strep positive and so I would need antibiotics before delivery. So we went to McDonald's to get Peter some food and off to the hospital we went!

Here's how the day went:

  • 12:30pm - Dr appt 6 cm
  • 1:15pm - checked into the hospital and ready to go
  • 2:00pm - IV of antibiotics is started (1st dose)
  • 5:30pm - 2nd dose of antibiotics started (still a 6)
  • 6:15pm - pitocin started
  • 6:30pm - water broken (cervix thins and baby drops)
  • 7:30pm - 7cm
  • 8:30pm - 8 cm 
  • 8:40pm - epidural given 
  • 9:20pm - 10 cm and doctor is getting called
  • 9:42pm - We have a daughter!!!!
I had decided that since Emmalyn was our last baby, I would try and see if I could do it without an epidural. I went for 2 hours and dilated 2 cm without any pain meds! I was pleased with myself for making it that far and long on my own! 

So, my nurse checks me and I am 10 so she goes to call the doctor. She comes back and I tell her that I am experiencing lots of pressure! She checks me again to make sure that the baby wasn't crowning and she says "Weird, it feel like she went back up. If Julia (my Dr) doesn't get here soon, this baby is going to have a major case of cone head!" I laughed and laid back to wait patiently! My doctor gets there and we start pushing. As I am pushing I am watching everyone's faces around me. The Dr and Peter have kind of weird looks on there faces. My doctor is encouraging me to push harder and go for it. Then words come out of her mouth I would never have imagined would come out! "Holy crap, she's breech!" I was shocked and Peter relieved because he couldn't figure out why her head looked so weird!! :) She delivered in 3 pushes, 1 contraction and  we were both just fine! We were the talk of the maternity ward the 2 days we were there! They don't allow women to deliver vaginally when the baby is breech. The funny thing is, is that she flipped in like the last half hour of labor! We were all shocked and couldn't figure it out! 

She definitely has a mind of her own and I am sure she will be an adventure! She was 7lbs 6 oz and 20 inches long. She is perfect and just so pretty! We all (and I mean her parents and brothers) love her so much! Sometimes I think Patrick loves her too much, but I just keep an eye on him when he is around her! I love watching him with her, all of them actually!

No comments: