Sunday, May 28, 2006

My New Toy!!

Well, I have had my Dell Inspiron e1405 for about a week, and so far it has been great. My last laptop, and Asus L5GA, was awesome, but too heavy to take to class, and the battery life sucked. The e1405 I got has the 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 1gb DDR2 RAM, 8x DVD-RW, and the TrueLife screen with 1440x900 native resolution.

The Asus I had had a 15.4 inch screen and so far I have not missed it. I am very happy with the screen upgrade, although it is very reflective. Ande and I drove to Utah last weekend and we tried to watch a movie, and it was hard to see. The screen is plenty bright, just too shiny.

Another difference between the Asus and my new Dell are the awesome speakers. Although they do not reproduce low frequencies at all, they are loud. I think that there is some sort of a crossover that kills the bass to the speakers. Good for long speaker life.

So far I have been loving the Core Duo proc. With 2MB cache and the dual core processor, this thing screams! I can only imagine what the 2.0 is like. Maybe one of these days I will upgrade.

Probably my biggest complaint with this laptop is the lack of PCI-Express video. The e1405's big brother, the e1505, has the ability to upgrade the video card, but not this one. I knew this before making the purchase, but with my limited college student budget, I sacrificed the upgrade-ability of the e1505 for the e1405 with a DVD-RW. I figure that if I really want/need better video, I can get a better laptop after I graduate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»